A Piece of Home at Camp Virginia

A Piece of Home at Camp Virginia
My favorite barrier!

Sunday, August 15, 2010

1 Week Down 26 to go !?

Made it through the first week! My god, the clinic is a wreck. Not only have I had to go through and remove about $4,500 worth of expired items, the dust on the shelves and boxes of supplies makes me SICK! I knew there would be dust, but when it comes to items that will be used in a health care setting, I just cannot accept things being visibly dirty! I saw only 2 patients this week but it is a good thing! I have had trouble with just about everything that I could have:
- No phone, internet, or printer in my office
- Lack of supplies, tons of expired items
- No access to program to input patients in dental system (all my medical collegues use a similar system, the dentists however use the Army's program while in theatrer to input dental encounters)
- My Tech, bless him, is having just about as much trouble as me and so I have to stop my projects to help him with things... which by the way...I have no idea how to either, so I have to read about it, then show him!
The big wigs came up from Camp AJ and I believe they are going to send me someone else who knows something about Dentistry (thank god). In the "real world" there would be a senior enlisted person who would guide my tech on what he needs to do, how to do it etc, and there would be little interaction between my tech and me (except when we started treating patients), but since there are no senior enlisted people that have ever worked in dental, they cannot guide him.... which leaves me. All the time spent helping him, is time less time that I have to do the stuff I need to get up and running. Wow, am I ranting or what?
Anyway, before I bore you all into never reading my blog I will point out some highlights
1. We have a starbucks!
2. The gym is nice and is not busy much
3. I saw a cat and I gave him water (Violation of a general order!)
4. My room is my own, even if it does not have a bathroom and the shower facility is located about .2 miles away
5. The DFAC (dining facility) has OK food....at least it has a salad bar
I am going to post some pictures really soon! Love you all.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for keeping us posted honey. Very cool pic up top.
    Love you
    me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I really hope they give you some good help. If not, I know that you will find the ways to make it all happen, no matter what! Love the blog and thinking of you! -Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. D-cup! You are truly amazing! I'm glad you have a blog so now everyone can keep up. Good luck with getting the office cleaned up and I hope you get some much needed help :) Love and miss you! As for vacation spots, I'd say FL and we'll go with :) Or Italy but we want to come with too! (seeing a pattern) xoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danika the number one highlight of this deployment is obviously spending some quality time with Lilly and I.

    ka-kaw!!

    ReplyDelete